Teaching Cooking

I have taught basic cooking to my seven children and to classes of elementary children. When my youngest daughter wanted to learn, I found that taking the recipes and making them into a step-by-step format made it easier for her, so here is a blog to hopefully make cooking easier for the beginner.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Oh Henry Bars

Here is a blast from the past for my kids.  They used to crave this dessert.

Oh Henry Bars

1. Mix together 4 cups of oatmeal and 1 cup brown sugar.  I make sure it is really mixed together well so the rest of the recipe turns out well.

2. Pour 3/4 cup melted butter, 1/2 cup corn syrup, and 3 teaspoons over the oatmeal/sugar mixture and mix really well.  Spread in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.  Don't let it burn because it gets hard and not as much fun to eat.

3. While it is baking, melt 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and then add 1 cup peanut butter and mix well.

4.  Carefully spread the chocolate/peanut butter over the warm bars.  Let it cool and then cut up in about 1 1/2 inch square size pieces.   Makes about 30 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment