Teaching Cooking

I have taught basic cooking to my seven children and to classes of elementary children. When my youngest daughter wanted to learn, I found that taking the recipes and making them into a step-by-step format made it easier for her, so here is a blog to hopefully make cooking easier for the beginner.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cakes for Strawberry Shortcake

I have two recipes that I like to use for Strawberry Shortcake.  One makes a 9 x 13 pan and the other is an 8 inch pan.  I suppose that I could just half the one, but the larger one is a little more complicated than the smaller one because you are beating eggs with the larger one.  They are both really good tasting cakes, so it all depends on how much time I want to use making the cake which one I use.

Chiffon Cake
(What I use for Strawberry Shortcake)

2 eggs, separated
1 ½ cups sugar
2 cups flour           
2 tablespoons corn starch
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup oil
1 cup milk
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350º.  In a small mixing bowl using a mixer, beat egg white until frothy.  Gradually beat in ½ cup sugar and beat until mixture forms stiff peaks and set aside.  In another bowl, combine remaining 1 cup sugar with flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, oil and half of the milk.  Beat 1 minute at medium speed.  Add remaining milk, vanilla and egg yolks.   Beat 1 minute.  By hand, fold in the beaten egg whites.  Pour into a 9 x 13 pan that has been greased and floured.  Bake for 40-45 minutes.

This recipe can also be used for to make a layer cake and then you would pour the batter into 8 or 9 inch round pans and bake for only 30-35 minutes. 

Easy Company Cake 
(Another one I like for Strawberry Shortcake that makes a smaller but just as yummy cake.)

1 ¼ cups flour
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter
2/3 cups milk
1 egg
1 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350º.  In large bowl, combine flour, sugar baking powder, salt, butter and milk.  Blend well at low speed.  Beat  with a mixer for 1½ minutes at medium speed.  Add egg and vanilla.  Continue beating 1½ minutes at medium speed.  Pour batter into an 8 inch square pan that has been greased and floured on the bottom only.  Bake 35-40 minutes: until the top is golden and the cake springs back when lightly touched,

2 comments:

  1. The Chiffon Cake cake was amazing. Just a heads up, do NOT try and mix the whites/sugar by hand. It took at least 15 min of using the hand mixer! I used my Boche for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyn, I update the recipes to reflect that. I put those up as fast as I could and didn't really read through them well. Glad you enjoyed it. It is one of my favorite cakes.

    ReplyDelete