I have had to cut this recipe down so that when it is just the two of us, we don't have a lot of biscuits left over. This made four good sized biscuits. It's easy to double, triple or quadruple for how many you are feeding.
1 cup flour
1/2 TBS Baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup butter or shortening
1/3 cup cold buttermilk
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
2. Add the butter or shortening. Using a fork, mash the butter into the flour mixture. Keep mixing until the flour and butter are well blended. I start using the fork and then mix it with my hands to finish getting the right texture.
3. Add the cold buttermilk and stir with a fork, gathering the flour/butter mixture in together.
4. When it starts to hold together well, knead the dough for about a minute.
5. Let is sit for two minutes.
6. Roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut the biscuits into round shapes. (Doesn't have to be round though...)
7. Place the biscuits onto an un-greased baking pan. You can either have them touching, or not. If they touch, the sides will be softer where they join together.
8. Bake at 425 F. degrees (230 C) for 12-15 minutes, until they are golden brown.