Teaching Cooking

I have taught basic cooking to my seven children and to classes of elementary children. When my youngest daughter wanted to learn, I found that taking the recipes and making them into a step-by-step format made it easier for her, so here is a blog to hopefully make cooking easier for the beginner.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Broccoli Salad

This is a salad that is always a favorite at family gatherings. In the summer we usually have a ton of broccoli from our garden, so it is a great way to use it.



Broccoli Salad
Chop up:
2 medium bunches of broccoli
1 or 2 apples, don’t peal them (Optional)
1 cup raisins or craisins (optional)
¼ cup red onion
Combine all the items you just chopped up.
Blend for the dressing:
1 cup salad dressing
½ cup sugar
¼ cup vinegar or lemon juice (I usually us lemon juice because I like the flavor it adds)
After you have mixed the dressing, pour it over the chopped mixture. Let it sit in the frig for an hour or so (if you have time, if not just go on to the next step.)
When you are ready to serve it:
Cook ½ cup bacon until it is crispy. (I like to cut the bacon into ½ inch pieces before I cook it.) Wipe off excess grease. Let it cool.
Then add 1 cup shredded cheese and mix all the ingredients together.

No comments:

Post a Comment