Teaching Cooking

I have taught basic cooking to my seven children and to classes of elementary children. When my youngest daughter wanted to learn, I found that taking the recipes and making them into a step-by-step format made it easier for her, so here is a blog to hopefully make cooking easier for the beginner.

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Buttermilk Pie Crust (All Butter Pie Crust)

 I was searching for an easy buttermilk pie crust recipe and tried this one. I love it! It was a perfect crust for my pies. I have to give credit to King Arthur Test Kitchen for this recipe.

2 1/2 cups of flour. 

1 tsp salt

2 Tbsp buttermilk powder

16 Tbsp of unsalted butter (I did use salted butter and just reduced the salt in the recipe to 1/2 tsp)

1/4 to 1 cup ice water


Step by step

1) Whisk together flour, salt, and buttermilk powder (they said this was optional, but I think it needs it.)

2) Dice the butter into small cubes. Work it into the flour mixture (I used my food processor, pulsing until it was well distributed but not fully mixed in.) I call is small pea sized mixture.)

3) Gradually add the ice water mixing it with a fork or your fingers until it starts to come together. (I had to add more water the recipe called for, almost twice the 1/2 cup. However, start with the 1/4 cup suggested and add what you need for it to come together) 

4) Gather the dough, handling it as little as possible. Divide the dough in half and form a round disc.

5) You can roll the dough immediately or refrigerate up to a half hour. It was suggested that for a better texture that you refrigerate it. If you refrigerate it for more than half hour, you will need to let it come to room temperature for 15-20 minutes before you work with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment